Zion Lutheran Chruch


Zion Lutheran Church, Thayer, NE(photo taken 2011)

Eight members of St. Paul Church, north of York were given their release to start a new congregation. On July 14, 1901, August Hoffman, Peters Ehlers, Heinrich Reetz, August Reetz, Reinhard Schoeneck, John Reetz, Julius Hoffman, and Herman Ziemke organized Zion congregation with Pastor C. H. Selz of Bever Creek as vacancy pastor. They acquired two acres of ground on the west edge of Thayer, purchase a vacant Methodist church northwest of Thayer, moved it in and renovated.

On October 20, 1901, the church was dedicated to the service of the Lord. On December 15, 1901, a call was sent to Pastor H. Pflug of Chenoa, Illinois. He accepted and was installed January 26, 1902. In the spring of 1902, a small parsonage was built. In 1902, a parochial school was started with 11 students taught by Pastor Pflug in the church building. Zion acquired a grassy hillside one-half mile west of Thayer to use as their cemetery.

Lightning struck the church in September 1904 and reduced it to ashes. The town hall was used for services, and William Sackschewsky offered his home to use for school. When the members met, they decided to build a new church and a new school. The first Sunday in Advent on November 27, 1904, the corner stone was laid; and the church members started building the church according to plan. A member hauled the steeple from York on a lumber wagon. It was dedicated on April 9, 1905 with three services, with Pastors C. H. Selz, William Gans, and M. Zagel as speakers. The cost of church and furnishings was $4,052.61.

In 1910, the congregation built a two-story parsonage. A gift of a bell for the church was dedicated in September 1913. A new pipe organ was dedicated on March 15, 1914. In July 1926, Zion celebrated its 25th Anniversary with guest speakers, Pastors H. Pflug, F. Sell, and A. A. Schorman. For 40 years, services were held in the German language. New English Hymnals were bought and German services were dropped. In early 1950, plans were started for the 50th Anniversary of Zion. The church was raised, a basement dug and interior renovated, the pulpit lowered, and carpet laid in the isles and sanctuary. On September 23, 1951, morning and afternoon services were conducted by Pastor Karl Evers and Pastor Martin Reetz.

An addition was added to Zion church, and restrooms put in, it was completed by April 15, 1969. In the spring of 1975, plans were started for Zion’s 75th Anniversary. Everything in the church was refinished, the floor completely carpeted, and air conditioning installed. New light fixtures, the external light, and the bench pads were given for memorials of members. All former members, teachers, and pastors were invited for the July 18, 1976 services.

-This taken from History of Zion Lutheran Church, 100th Anniversary (1901-2001)

We should be proud, our Ancestors helped to give this church its start.

Previous Page            Home            Brief History            Churches            Index            Next Page